Saturday, October 31, 2009

Do We Have Mountain Lions in New Hampshire?

Squam Lakes Natural Science Center in Holderness, NH is the place to go to see New Hampshire’s wild animals “up close and personal”.

The Sunday Union Leader announced a lecture at Squam Lakes on New Hampshire’s large wildcats. Certainly, a topic of interest to all outdoor enthusiasts.

My wife Cathy and I arrived two hours before the 1 pm lecture so we could hike the ¾ mile Gephart Exhibit Trail. The Trail features live native New Hampshire wildlife in natural settings.

Yes, I had seen many of the animals and birds previously in their native habitat, but it was always for a fleeting moment. Now, Cathy and I are in awe seeing this same wildlife in their natural settings, and in an area where we can take pictures at our leisure, and read all about their traits.

All the animals are in captivity, but in ecology close to their natural habitat and space needs. The animals were orphaned or injured before they came to the Center. Essentially, the Center is now their home.

So, are there mountain lions in New Hampshire? Hmm, maybe, maybe not?

Absolutely, plan a day at the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center so you (adults and children) will never have to say, “I wish I had seen and learned more about wildlife of New Hampshire.”

ADVANCE NOTICE -A $pecial post next week will be a 28% discount for Outdoor Enthusiast: Never say, “I wish I had…” You can now give Outdoor Enthusiast as a special gift for the holidays. My book royalties are gone for this $pecial post so you can treat family and friends to a very personal gift. [Hint: use discount code SX7VP7Q9 at www.outdoorsteve.com/]

No comments:

Post a Comment