Tuesday, July 14, 2020

The Lincoln Trail 11 Extension to the Summit of Mt Kearsarge



Mt Kearsarge is the highest peak (2,937 ft.) of the Sunapee-Ragged-Kearsarge Greenway (SRKG.) I just came to the realization how much Mt Kearsarge lends itself to the SRKG, and how much of my hiking has revolved around Mt Kearsarge. Doing Trail 10 (Proctor Academy to Winslow State Park) and Trail 11 (Winslow State Park to Kearsarge Valley Road), combined with my previous hikes to the summit from Winslow Park (ascending and descending using the Barlow and Winslow Trails) and Rollins Park (ascending and descending using Rollins Trail), was not complete, because I had never used Lincoln Trail to the summit.

On top of this, being the highest mountain in our immediate area, Mt Kearsarge has been visible from many other SRKG trails (i.e., Mt Sunapee Trail 1, Newbury Harbor to Old Providence Road, Goshen, and Trail 13, Wadleigh Park, Sutton to Chalk Pond, Newbury.) Plus, Mt Kearsarge is seen prominently as I kayak in Kezar Lake, Sutton, and Bradley Lake, Andover.

As I looked at the map of the SRK Greenway 75-mile loop of hiking trails, and particular Trails 10 and 11, I realized I had never hiked one section of the Lincoln Trail, Rollins Park to the summit of Mt Kearsarge. Before my SRKG quest, I had never paid attention to the Lincoln Trail because the Lincoln Trail was known to step steeply down a talus field and be very dangerous in wet and icy conditions. However, if I were to be true to myself about hiking all of the SRKG trails, I needed to complete the Lincoln trail from Rollins Park to the Mt Kearsarge summit.

Sunapee-Ragged-Kearsarge Greenway Trail 11 Mt Kearsarge Lincoln Trail to Kearsarge Valley Road 
is the blog post that completes the Lincoln Trail from the Rollins parking area to Kearsarge Valley Road.


Finishing the Lincoln Trail - Rollins Park to Mt Kearsarge Summit

Indeed, the warning signs about this section of the Lincoln trail are not overemphasized. For much of this .4 mile section, it meant me climbing over a collection of huge broken rock fragments that have accumulated through periodic rockfall from Mt Kearsarge’s adjacent cliff faces.

I started with my walking poles, but as soon as I began climbing up and over intermixed boulders and pointed rock fragments, I had to stop and store my poles on my backpack. This section of the Lincoln Trail was no place to use poles.



I had estimated my .4 mile hike to be a half-hour. My actual time was one hour. Yes, I stopped to take in the magnificent views and to tie my poles to my pack, but indeed I must admit I used my hands, knees, and butt to achieve the section through the talus field.

The Video

Enjoy my hike up the Lincoln Trail from Rollins Park to the summit.







SRKG Completion Medal
I now, never have to say, "I wish I had hiked the SRKG Trail 11 from the summit of Mt Kearsarge to Kearsarge Valley Road, including the talus field of the Lincoln Trail."











Sunapee-Ragged-Kearsarge Greenway (SRKG) Trails Hiked by OutdoorSteve and Friends - Click below links
  1. SRK Greenway Trail 1 Old Province Rd, Goshen to Newbury Harbor
  2. SRK Greenway Trail 2 Old Province Rd, Goshen to Sunapee Town Hall
  3. SRK Greenway Trail 3 Sunapee to Deerhill Springfield (Video on Bedford Community TV)
  4. SRK Greenway Trail 4 ProtectworthTrail, Springfield, NH
  5. SRK Greenway Trail 5 Springfield/New London to Great Brook Bridge
  6. SRK Greenway Trail 6 Great Brook Bridge to Wilmot 4A Wolf Trees and Trails
  7. SRK Greenway Trail 7 NH Route 4A to WilmotCenter
  8. SRK Greenway Trail 8 Wilmot Center to New Canada Road
  9. SRKG Greenway Trail 9 New Canada Road to Proctor Academy via Ragged Mountain
  10. SRK Greenway Trail 10 Proctor Academy to Winslow State Park Mt Kearsage
  11. SRK Greenway Trail 11 Rollins State Park via Lincoln Trail to Kearsarge Valley Road
  12. SRK Greenway Trail 12 – Kearsarge Valley Road to Wadleigh State Park
  13. SRK Greenway Trail 13 - Kezar Lake at Wadleigh Park to Chalk Pond
  14. SRK Greenway Trail 14 – Chalk Pond to Newbury
    ++++++++++++++++++

    "Everyone must do something. I believe I will go outdoors with family and friends"

    Steve’s books are available as hardcopy and e-Books at Kindle and hardcopy at Morgan Hill Bookstore, New London, NH, Colby-Sawyer College, New London, NH, and Dartmouth-Hitchcock Gift Shop, Lebanon, NH.

    Outdoor Play has trip preparations, routes, and narratives of bucket list places to go. The book will motivate friends and family to make the outdoors a key component of their daily life. If you want 5 or more books signed, send Steve an email and we can work out the logistics.



    Additional Sources of Books at:
    Hardcopy at: http://outdoorsteve.com and https://www.amazon.com/dp/098503842X
    E-book at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/098503842X



    No comments:

    Post a Comment